As part of Our Recommendations, here are some of our Recommended Recordings, listed alphabetically by artist. Please note that this list is a work in progress and will be adding more titles regularly. Also see our Recommended Recordings – Compilations:
- Mose Allison Sings – this includes Mose Allison’s recording Parchman Farm, mentioned on the Mississippi Blues Trail marker for Parchman Farm Blues, outside the Missisippi State Penitentiary in Sunflower County.
- Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy – Complete Edition
- Hot Fives and Hot Sevens – a 4 CD set on JSP Records containing the complete Hot Fives and Hot Sevens recordings made between 1926 and 1930. Very good sound for recordings of this era.
- All The Classic Sides, 1928-1937 on JSP Records
- Part 2 1937-1940 on JSP Records
- Volume 3 The War & Postwar Years 1940-51 on JSP Records
- Trouble In Mind on Smithsonian Folkways
Leroy Carr & Scrapper Blackwell
- Leroy Carr & Scrapper Blackwell Volume 1: 1928-1934 – a 4 CD box set on JSP Records. Volume 1 in a 2 volume Leroy Carr & Scrapper Blackwell collection on JSP Records
- When The Sun Goes Down 1934-1941 – a 4 CD box set; the second volume in a 2 volume Leroy Carr & Scrapper Blackwell collection from JSP Records
Bo Carter – Mississippi Sheiks
- Ain’t A Gonna Lie To You – recorded by George Mitchell in 1967 on Joe Callicott’s front porch in Nesbit, Mississippi. Released on Fat Possum Records
- Mississippi Blues Rare Cuts 1926-1941 – a box set on JSP Records which contains the early recordings of Joe Callicott and his friend Garfield Akers
- Fresh Cream (released in 1966) – contained covers of Skip James I’m So Glad; Willie Dixon’s Spoonful; Robert Johnson’s From Four Until Late; and Muddy Waters’ version of Rollin’ And Tumblin’, a song originally recorded by Hambone Willie Newbern in 1928. Fresh Cream played a major role in promoting these songs to a wider audience.
- Disraeli Gears
- Live At The Albert Hall 2005
- Wheels of Fire
David Honeyboy Edwards
Blind Roosevelt Graves
- Complete Recorded Works 1929-1936, Blind Roosevelt Graves & Brother on Document Records
- Mississippi Blues Rare Cuts 1926-1941 on JSP Records has the 4 important Mississippi Jook Band recordings from 1936 that are mentioned on the Mississippi Blues Trail marker for Roots of Rock And Roll in Hattiesburg, Mississippi
- The Excello Singles Anthology – a 2 CD set of Slim Harpo singles released on the Excello Records label
- Eight Classic Albums – a 4 CD, 92 track set, released by Real Gone Music Company, containing eight John Lee Hooker albums originally released between 1958-1962;
- The Healer – released in 1989 and featuring John Lee Hooker collaborations with Bonnie Raitt, Carlos Santana, Los Lobos, Charlie Musselwhite, Canned Heat and Robert Cray
- Legends of Country Blues – a 5 CD box set on JSP Records containing the complete early works of Son House, Booker White and Skip James along with the complete recordings of Tommy Johnson and Ishmon Bracey
- Mojo Workin’: The Original Delta Blues – a selection of 11 tracks from the Son House Columbia Records sessions in 1965
- Father of the Delta Blues – The Complete 1965 Sessions – this 2 CD set features the complete 1965 Columbia Records sessions by Son House.
- Avalon Blues: Complete 1928 Okeh Recordings – contains all 13 sides that Mississippi John Hurt recorded for Okeh Records in 1928
- Complete Studio Recordings – a 3 CD set containing all the studio recordings Mississippi John Hurt made for Vanguard Records in 1966
- Mississippi John Hurt Live – contains all the recordings from Mississippi John Hurt’s 1965 performance at Oberlin College included on the original 1960’s Vanguard Records 2 LP set, along with some bonus tracks of other Mississippi John Hurt performances.
- Complete Early Recordings of Skip James 1930 – on Yazoo Records
- Legends of Country Blues – a 5 CD box set from JSP Records with the complete early recordings of Skip James, Son House and Booker White, along with the complete recordings of Tommy Johnson and Ishmon Bracey
Blind Lemon Jefferson
- The Best of Blind Lemon Jefferson, a selection of 23 of Blind Lemon Jefferson’s 94 known recorded sides, released on Yazoo Records.
- Complete Blind Lemon Jefferson – 94 Classic Sides Remastered, all 94 known recordings by Blind Lemon Jefferson in a 4 CD box set on JSP Records.
- The Complete Blind Willie Johnson – on Sony Legacy. This is the Blind Willie Johnson release we are currently recommending.
- Complete Recordings, The Centennial Edition – this is the Complete Robert Johnson release we are currently recommending.
- Complete Victor and Paramount Recordings 1928-1929, on Document Records – contains the complete recordings of Tommy Johnson
- Legends of Country Blues, on JSP Records. This 5 CD box set contains the complete recordings of Tommy Johnson and Ishmon Bracey, as well as the complete early recordings of Son House, Booker “Bukka” White and Skip James.
- Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five on JSP Records
- Louis Jordan – The Later Years 1953-57 on JSP Records
- Louis Jordan- The Rock N’ Roll Years 1955-58 on Jasmine Records
- Complete Singles A’s & B’s 1949-62 on Acrobat Records
- Live At The Regal (1964)
- Live At Cook County Jail (1971)
- Masters of Memphis Blues, a 4 CD box set from JSP Records containing the complete early works of Robert Wilkins and Furry Lewis along with selected recordings by other 1920’s and early 1930’s Memphis bluesmen like Frank Stokes.
- Furry’s Blues – Complete Vintage Recordings of Furry Lewis (1927-1929), released on Document Records
- Good Morning Judge, recorded in 1962 by George Mitchell
- Little Walter – His Best, released on Chess Records
Robert Lockwood Jr.
- Delta Crossroads – released in 2006 on Telarc Records
- West Side Soul, released on Delmark Records
- Black Magic, released on Delmark Records
- Live At The Avant Garde, released on Delmark Records
- Essential Magic Sam – Cobra and Chief Recordings 1957-1961.
- Blues Breakers With Eric Clapton (1966)
- A Hard Road (1967) – with Peter Green on lead guitar.
- 70th Birthday Concert (2003) – with Eric Clapton, Mick Taylor, Chris Barber and others
- Tough (2009)
- Find A Way To Care (2015)
- Talk About That – a 2017 release featuring two tracks with Joe Walsh as a guest artist on lead guitar
- You Gotta Move – on Arhoolie Records
- This Ain’t No Rock n’ Roll – on Arhoolie Records
- I Do Not Play No Rock n’ Roll
Mississippi Sheiks – Bo Carter
- Bricks in My Pillow, 1951 and 1952 Chicago sessions released on Delmark Records
- Prowling With The Nighthawk, released on Document Records
Charley Patton / Charlie Patton
- Charley Patton – Complete Recordings 1929-1934, a 5 CD box set on JSP Records containing all the sides Charley Patton recorded under his own name along with sides by other musicians which featured Charley Patton as a session, or backing, musician.
- Best of Charlie Patton, a selection of Charley Patton recordings released on Yazoo Records
- Five Classic Albums Plus Singles – released on Real Gone Music Company label.
- Jimmy Reed – The Anthology – released on Not Now Music Company label
- Blues Blues Blues – this Atlantic Records release features Jimmy Rogers with guest artists including Eric Clapton, Lowell Fulson, Jeff Healey, Mick Jagger, Taj Mahal, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant. Keith Richards and Stephen Stills
- Hard Times, recorded in 1986. Contains his Nelson Street recording mentioned on the Mississippi Blues Trail marker for Nelson Street, Greenville, Mississippi
- Beefsteak Blues, released in 1998
- Rhythm Rockin’ Blues by Ike Turner & His Kings of Rhythm on Ace Records
- T-Bone Blues – recorded 1956-1957 on Atlantic Records
- T-Bone Walker Ultimate Collection 1929-1957 – on Acrobat Records
- Little Walter – His Best, released on Chess Records
- Complete Plantation Recordings, 1941-42. These are the complete Alan Lomax recordings of Muddy Waters made at Stovall Farm.
- Complete Aristocrat & Chess Singles As & Bs, 1947-62 on Acrobat Records
- Legends of Country Blues on JSP Records. This is a 5 CD box set containing the complete recordings of Tommy Johnson and Ishmon Bracey along with the complete early recordings of Son House, Skip James and Booker “Bukka” White.
Reverend John Wilkins
Robert Wilkins – Reverend Robert Wilkins
- Masters of Memphis Blues, a 4 CD box set from JSP Records containing the complete early works of Robert Wilkins, Furry Lewis, Frank Stokes and selected recordings by other early Memphis bluesmen.
- Remember Me – recorded in 1969 and 1971
Sonny Boy Willlamson 1
- The Original Sonny Boy Williamson, Volume 1 (a 4 CD box set on JSP Records)
- The Original Sonny Boy Williamson, The Later Years 1938-1947 (a 4 CD box set on JSP Records)
- Cool, Cool Blues on JSP Records (This is also a very good Trumpet Records anthology which contains all Sonny Boy Williamson‘s recordings for Trumpet Records)
- Down And Out Blues – a 2 CD re-release of the classic 1959 Chess Records album along with Sonny Boy Williamson’s Trumpet Records recordings 1951-54.
- His Best – Chess 50th Anniversary Collection – 20 of Sonny Boy Williamson’s best known Chess Records recordings.
- The Real Folk Blues – a compilation of 12 Sonny Boy Williamson recordings between 1957 and 1963, released by Chess Records in January 1966
- The Real Folk Blues / More Real Folk Blues – a compilation of 24 Sonny Boy Williamson recordings between 1957 and 1963, originally released by Chess Records on two separate LPs in 1966 and 1967
- Ain’t Nobody’s Business – a 2 CD, 50 track, release on the Not Now reissue label containing some excellent Jimmy Witherspoon recordings.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?