The following record labels are commemorated on the Mississippi Blues Trail:
- Ace Records – Farish Street, Jackson, Mississippi
- Malaco Records – Jackson, Mississippi
- Fat Possum Records – Oxford, Mississippi
- Paramount Records – Grafton, Wisconsin
- Trumpet Records – Farish Street, Jackson, Mississippi (also see Scott Radio Service, Jackson, Missisippi)
Cool Cool Blues, a 4 CD box set on JSP Records, is marketed as a Sonny Boy Williamson set but it’s actually a collection of Trumpet Records releases from 1951-54. Good remastering, good sound, reasonable price for a 4 CD box set.
Trumpet Records released the first recordings of Sonny Boy Williamson and Elmore James as well as the original Nelson Street by Willie Love, which was later covered by James “Son” Thomas. Nelson Street in Greenville is commemorated on the Mississippi Blues Trail.
The Paramount Masters is a 4 CD box set, released on JSP Records, featuring 100 tracks from Paramount Records, which operated in Grafton, Wisconsin until it went bankrupt in 1934. Paramount Records released some great material and there isn’t a weak track on this collection. Good remastering, good sound considering the original Paramount Records sources, reasonable price for a 4 CD box set.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?